Thursday, September 18, 2008

All about Interpreters

So this post will be about interpreters. I've had some interesting encounters recently that I would like to share.

As some of you know, I recently was fitting fo rmy first hearing aid. I brought along my trusted friend and interpreter that goes to all of my appointments with medical. So we got there and got up to the receptionist.

This poor woman *laughs*. She must have been around 80. I signed and my interpreter spoke "Hello , my name is Dena, I'm here for my appointment". The woman was looking at me and in sign asked "Please again". I signed "you need to listen to the interpreter!" She spoke "I didn't catch all of what you were signing". I could have died, but it gets worse. I started explaining that's why I have an interpreter, so you can speak normally to me. She said well I didn't need an interpreter, she knew how to sign. *ouch!* The last straw was she had me fill out some paperwork, and she signed "please sign (as in ASL sign! lol) your name here". You had to have been there, it was quite a chuckle.

Educational interpreting is something I am just getting used to. This is the first year I am with interpreters for my classes. But is it just me or are they unaware that when I ask for no moithing of the words and less English word order and signs, it just confuses me more? I'm not sure one of my interpreters understands that. I've asked her politely during a break in class, but she still mouthes words like a fish. Yes, I understand English, but that doesn't mean I want my interpretation in English format. How do I politely tell her again to quit it?

That's it for now on that subject, but I'm sure I'll have plenty more to say in the comments. Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a phenomonon called "Interprelating." This is pretty much my favorite new word. It is when you are TRYING to interpret (ASL mouthing, grammar, etc) but cannot for the life of you stop "mouthing like a fish." I suffer from this problem. Maybe she doesn't understand the material enough to interpret it in ASL and doesn't want to skew your message. I also do this when I am unsure of what exactly something means and want to very specifically convey EXACTLY what they're saying. I'm sure if you work with her, she will get used to your needs as time goes on, or you could request a change of inerpreters.

Anonymous said...

Do what I do and show up for class early prepared for all your readings and teach your interpreter the vocabulary you want to use.

You're in college now. Vocabulary is specialized. It's your responsibility to learn it and pass it on to your partner. They don't read the homework or take the class: you do.