Sunday, January 27, 2008

Censorship? You bet!

It took me a while to catch up on the week's news about censorship on DeafRead but I didn't think it was going to happen to me. Of course, it happen to happen to my most important post. Last night, when I made the Deaf Sister post, I wanted lots of people to comment, get the most exposure out there because i know and understand that not a lot of deaf, even hearing people don't understand about Muslims and Islam. So i put the video out there as my way of saying "hey, it's okay to ask questions, I will do my best to answer them, go ahead." My blog post was accepted onto DeafRead at 1:06am according to my aggregator.

I woke up this morning feeling great that I had made that post. It was a semi-accomplishment for me. Anyway, I checked YouTube first to react to the comments, all positive, yay! Then I checked DeafRead to see how many people from DeafRead went to the post here since I had seen it had been posted. It had been taken off the site.

Why censor something so important that I'm giving information to other deaf who don't really know about Muslims, just like their hearing counterparts? I'm trying to help the community. Isn't that what we are all here for?

7 comments:

drmzz said...

You're new here and already you making accusations? You should be humble as a true Muslim instead of thriving on sensationalism. Your post was in DeafRead Extra, I saw that yesterday. Now it’s moved to the front page by amount of votes. Look and observe before you leap. You just lost a reader.

Patty Keen said...

Oh bad mistake there, Mike!!

"You should be humble as a true Muslim instead of thriving on sensationalism."

Gross generalisation there.. tsk.

Jared said...

Since you are new to DeafRead, you are encouraged to read the DeafRead guidelines to see why it was initially approved into the Extra section.

However, your post had garnered enough votes from the readers and it has been moved to the front page.

Dianrez said...

Welcome to the Deaf community, vlogging and to the world of serious thinkers who willingly consider all ideas, religions and philosophies!

They do not neccessarily all come together at the same time, though. You may meet intolerance, proselytism, rejection on various bases, but that is the same as happens in the larger Hearing community.

If we can discuss diverse ideas in a respectful way as you have and not always expect others to be agreeing with you, that is great.

Just be yourself and continue seeking the truth. There are many paths to heaven and we all are seeking, too.

Unknown said...

My RSS reader says this posted at 10:50 AM. Then your Deaf Muslim Sister post was approved right after. Fishy.

You write a complaint and presto! DR carries the post. Same thing happened with Chris Leon.

In the first place, this should have been carried on the main page, not the Extras. It meets the DR guidelines, which seems the DR editors are selective about.

Good that you spoke up. Would have never seen your post otherwise.

Dena Reiter said...

Jared, thank you for letting me know of the Extra RSS feed, I was unaware. I still stand by my initial post though, because it was at first posted to the front page, then moved for an unknown reason, or else it would not have shown up on my RSS feed at that time. however, thank you for letting me know, and I have now subscribed to the Extras RSS feed.

Jared said...

I'm not sure what happened with that particular post. It may have been moved to Extra when we realized that it was not Deaf-related. We push Deaf-related entries to the front page first.

We allow voting on the Extra posts to see which ones should be brought to the front page.